Tuesday 16 December 2008

Let Your Hair Down


Where Has All My Hair Gone?

I’ve never been blessed with Good Hair. Every day is an average to bad hair day for me.

My parents both have (well, once upon a time had) jet black hair.

Google Grannie’s hair is thick and bouncy.

I was bald until I was about 2 years old and then had wispy thin blonde hair which gradually evolved into wispy thin mousey brown hair.

Yuk.

On the bright side, I benefit from only having to have my legs waxed every 8 weeks, so long does it take for the thin wispy leg hairs to make an appearance.

When I was pregnant with Google Baby, I was beside myself with excitement and anticipation for the day I woke with the promised thick and bouncy pregnancy hair.

Alas, that day never arrived.

So imagine my utter horror and dismay when, a few weeks ago when I was washing my hair, rather than suds floating to the floor, clumps of hair began their merry descent down the plug hole.

AAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!

This went on, every shower time, for nearly two weeks.

Google! Help!

Google directed me to the inventor of the phrase ‘Bad Hair Day’ Philip Kingsley. Philip is no lowly hairdresser. Tch! The very thought! Phil is a Trichologist. Described by the New York Times as ’The Hair Guru’, US Vogue as ’The Hair Wizard’ and the Sunday Times as ’The Hair Doctor’, I had a feeling that Google had come up trumps with this guy.

The lovely Philip tells me that post partum or post natal alopecia is an example of telogen effluvium. Of course, I thought. Bloody telogen effluvium!

Apparently, it happens to 50% of new mums. Oh lucky, lucky me. But Philip was quick to reassure me that the hair will grow back. All I need to do is wash and condition my hair with his products. What a relief (and a coincidence!).

And if it all doesn’t work? Ruby Warrington has an even better idea. Get my post partum ass down to Vicki Ullah’s Wig Boudoir at the Urban Spa, Harrods. Apparently, 2009 is all about faking it, dahhling!




Picture is from mt.MT.Mt’s photostream

8 comments:

Ladybird World Mother said...

Yup!! I know that horror of looking down at the plug hole and seeing more hair down there than on my head. Does grow back, honest! Lucky lucky you with the leg hair. I am a Tarzan girl. Need to wax more than every 8 weeks or would scare the husband away.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I had a certain amount of hair loss after pregnancy too. It does grow back - honest.

A

Google Mummy said...

Ladybird World Mother - hi! tarzan girl...nice image!! love it!

Strawberry Jam Anne - hope so! although the wig option is beginning to appeal!

Gill - That British Woman said...

I would be horrified also if I saw that amount of hair by the plus hole........I hope it grows back.....

Gill in Canada

By the way due to the cold weather in Canada, I rarely shave my legs in Winter!!! By Spring, it usually to the braiding stage........lol

Milly Melon said...

Buy a wig. You know it makes sense...

Wigout Woman

Ladybird World Mother said...

Google mummy - have award for you over at my blog. X

Millennium Housewife said...

Fantastic idea for a blog, looking forward to reading more. If Google can't solve your problems rest assured there'll be loads of bloggers wishing to give you advive (and they will, I swear, day and night - you don't know what you've started...) MH

Google Mummy said...

MH - Thank you! Although you bloggers should be afraid now i know you can solve all my baby queries!

Gill - it's so cold here, i may try the braiding look on my legs too!

Squirrel Doughnut - have tried some on!! Google Baby looked at me and cried!